View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Brainstorming about a gear/wealth management UI

That is a pretty good start. Thinking about ways I manage equipment on characters in different genres:

"Things I got without paying $ for them" covers equipment provided by the army or patrons, signature gear, stuff we looted, and so on. I have been playing a campaign where we had a 90 point patron which provided an unlimited equipment budget at TL8, provided we could maintain our covers and move the equipment around without attracting attention.

"Things I have borrowed" and "Things I have lent out" can be quite durable categories; I've had one item on loan to a fellow party member for at least five years because it does him much more good than it does me, and he's never had the spare money to just buy it from me. That campaign could be subtitled "Going broke while saving the world by stealth."

Things that you have multiple interchangeable copies of - like potions - may be a mixture of stuff you paid for, stuff you acquired otherwise, and stuff that's on loan either way. So that could use a multiple branches/consolidation mechanic ("resource forks").

Do characters consider durable goods to be assets with a well-defined value? I tend to assume I've written off the money at time of purchase. And many things that you loot in a fantasy environment are unique and have no established value.

This is all kind of vague, but accounting UI is a kind of software I've never worked on.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote