View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #29
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [MA] Finger Lock - what's the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheomesh View Post
I've broken fingers, while sober, beating on people or things. I've even got a boxer's fracture on my left little finger, such that I can't make it line up with the rest of the other fingers on that hand. None of these breaks "kicked in" until well after the event was over, however.

M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Thing breaking a finger and a joint lock are actually two different things when it come to pain, bodies register and react to pain in very different ways depending on lots of variables.

For instance: Something happening quickly while you concentrating on something else vs. a slow increase and maintenance of pain levels.

Think how often you've hurt yourself but only realised it when you then jar the thing you hurt latter on.
Yeah, this is true. Our "Gating" response tends to register "outside" pain and "inside" pain as two different things. I personally have never broken a bone (and I've been in plenty of situations where I should have), but I've hurt myself plenty. If you're a experienced martial artist or combatant (or in my case, scrapper) you come to expect a certain amount of pain that comes with a fight. Fight bite, bruises, etc. are just part of the territory. By accepting them and moving on you tend to ignore them until the adrenaline isn't flowing.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote