View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #59
Refplace

Default Re: Power-Ups for RPM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I want to point out something here: Control of all EM Radiation is 25/level (which is easily a pervading force as magic) and God-Like Control, that is Control (Time) or Control (Space) is 30points per level. So making it cost 40/level (unless there is a bundled UB or other trait) is unfair to the players. That said, I might be able to get behind something like
I have been mulling this over and also considering the article in Infinite Worlds.
My original thoughts were that A) I wanted Magic to have a high buy in cost so mages are less common. Magery on a 250 point budget is too easy to take as a tertiary power and still be good at it.
B) Magic is a pervading force in most fantasy and able to be used for just about anything. So a level above Godlike (Time) or Godlike (Space) seemed appropriate as Control (Magic) an do both and more.

However the utility comes into question.
Sure you can buy any power you want as an AA and in this case a higher base cost can be useful.
However what it actually does without an AA really should be a major factor in its cost.
Consider the +1 bonus or penalty to other skills or resistance rolls, Power Defense (Using Super Blocks and parries from Powers) and ability to contribute to other types of magic use or defence in various ways.
Even Power Stunts are really offset by the base cost and should not factor into a higher base cost just for the option.
I think I will change it for my campaign after mulling the above over.
It means redoing my spells so I have Rank 1 to 10 instead of Rank 1 to 5 for the same base cost. Trade in my Pentaphillia for more variety in spell levels.
Some of those Rank 1 spells I really wanted weaker anyhow :)
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote