View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #23
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Bringing my total-issue review to a close with a review of Steven's Random Thought Table, plus the Odds and Ends page.

This issue rocked on toast. Every single article was well written and/or filled with good stuff. It had the first part of what could easily have been a full e23 supplement on the Modern Warfighter. It had everything you could have ever wanted to know about one of the most famous attack helicopters ever. It had a gun company (for use as a patron or supplier) and a historical example of a gun that didn't hit it's target marketing-wise, and could break your shoulder and set your ship on fire to boot. It contained a lot of detailed optional rules for those whose willing suspension of disbelief does not extend to dodging bullets. For the supernatural set, it listed some things to blow out of the muzzle that aren't jacketed lead or mild steel. To wrap it up, the editor points out that firearms are plot devices as much as they are instruments of destruction, and a wise GM will treat them as both.

I'm biased towards such, but this was a great issue, and the title "Gunplay" doesn't really do justice to the breadth of material it covers. In fact, the only article that really dealt with actual gunplay is my own. The rest are equipment-based or plot-based, and more broadly useful than the issue's moniker might think!
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote