View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 04:01 PM   #20
phiwum

Default Re: Old School Monsters

Still some questions about the Gelatinous Cube.

It says the cube doesn't engage, but is it engaged by two or more figures? I think it isn't. It moves in any direction at 5 MA and doesn't use normal combat options.

That makes the cube a worse monster than I was figuring. You can try to attack it in melee, but it will just move right onto you. You get a 2/DX save roll to back up, but then it continues moving, so that you could make five save rolls in one turn. There's about a 13% chance of auto-failure when you roll 2/DX five times. And then there's that pseudopod hit, which isn't terrible, but adds to the danger.

The cube makes a player think.

Now, could a cube get to the other side of a 4' wide, 15' deep pit? Seems like it could, by flowing into the pit and out the other side, no climbing required (the pit is only 600 cu. ft., figuring it's about ten ft. wide.). Which means I have to make my pit deeper, because it's supposed to be a barrier for the mindless goo.

I notice that it's not using the trampling rules, which is good, because you can't push back or trample anyone who has no escape route (a rule that has always bugged me -- I might houserule that if you have no escape route, you're automatically trampled instead of pushed back) and dead ends are supposed to be deadly, not safe spaces.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote