View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #10
JulianLW

Default Re: Improved Melee Defaults for Skilled Combatants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Yes, this is what I think too.

The penalties moving between different weapons seem pretty correct to me, particularly when we are talking about using them in life and death, difference of an inch, situations.

If the character is attaining high skill levels based on high DX, the situation of Sword 17 and Spear 7 doesn't happen.
Again, the character I'm proposing: DX 12, Two-Handed Sword at 15, Spear at default of 7 - is not only realistic in GURPS terms but likely extremely common. This character wins competitions with a Two-Handed Sword but has real difficulty poking the side of a barn with a spear.

All it takes to get to Two-Handed Sword 17 and Spear 7 is to put 20 points in Two-Handed Sword from DX 12. Look at the Swashbuckler or Barbarian build in DF: 20 CP in 2HS (if I recall the options correctly) but none in Spear.

Give this guy a quarterstaff and he'll hold it in the 2HS grip and whale on three mooks at a time. But give him a spear and he's liable to drop it if he tries anything except a straight poke at the torso - which he's almost certain to miss.

You don't see the problem there?
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote