View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 10:11 AM   #4
JulianLW

Default Re: Improved Melee Defaults for Skilled Combatants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Is "I think the premise is flawed" a solution to the problem?

I think you're neglecting the fact that Dexterity is a trainable ability and that your DX score is not just your natural agility. That underlying similarity between weapons you're looking for is subsumed into DX.

In other words, if you're looking for more realistic weapon defaults, construct a more realistic character. Rather than DX 10 [0], Two-Handed Sword 25 [60], Spear 5 [0], make it DX 12 [40], Two-Handed Sword 17 [20], Spear 7 [0], or whatever other combination you think generates the right defaults.
You're the one who has created the unrealistic character here. Nobody but you has said anything about a DX 10 character with Two-Handed Sword at +15. And if you think Two-Handed Sword 17 [20] and Spear 7 [0] is realistic, then just ignore this thread.

The character I proposed - DX 12, Two-Handed Sword at 15, Spear at default of 7 - is very realistic, in terms of a character build. There are probably thousands of examples of this character in GURPS games right now.

And, as I said, creating a Talent or saying that higher Attributes is the solution doesn't solve the problem with this character. It simply adds more costs to making him realistic. But training in one Melee Skill should logically give some improvement to other, untrained skills.

Also, simply improving the default levels from Melee skills - or creating an overall -6 default from best skill or whatever - ends up creating a talent for all melee weapon defaults that costs only 4 points. Maybe that's really the solution - for defaults only. I'd like to hear more opinions.

Last edited by JulianLW; 04-08-2021 at 10:15 AM.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote