Thread: Cursed objects
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 09:51 PM   #1
phiwum

Default Cursed objects

So, I'm thinking that my next adventure will be a fairly difficult labyrinth with a conventional and perhaps generous haul at the end -- if they can get there. The site will have a magic-heavy past, a redoubt of a powerful wizard or at least a powerful wizard as the late lieutenant of the head honcho, so I'm going to toss in some magical goodies. Not too much, but one or two bits of weapons or armor perhaps, maybe a useful item as well.

I'd also like to place a booby trap in there. I was thinking about a Broadsword of Clumsiness, with DX -2 and unremoveable, but boy is that a nasty thing to throw at a player. If I read it right, just picking it up to put in your stash would make it impossible to put down without a Remove Cursed Object spell, an IQ 17 spell. My party lives in the small town of Enkarr, where there's only one wizard with that high an IQ and he is incognito, selfish and secretive. It would take quite a journey to find a wizard who can do this. (In sum, my world is not much like Henry's!)

I could, of course, make it a bit of armor instead, which would give them a chance because the spell wouldn't kick in until it's worn. Or I could rule that the unremoveable aspect doesn't apply until wielded in battle (and hide the effects with Conceal). If you find a sword and discover that you can't analyze the magic, so you try it out anyway, that's really totally on you.

But I thought I'd ask whether anyone else has come up with lesser booby-trapped items that are fun. I like the stickiness of unremoveable items, but the penalty is a bit harsh for my taste. What else y'all got?

(Yes, I could just say that in my world, Remove Thrown would do the trick, but I really don't want to houserule it. I want imaginative booby prizes.)

Thanks. Lotsa good ideas on this forum. I really enjoy it.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote