View Single Post
Old 03-24-2021, 08:19 PM   #39
Shostak

Default Re: Aid Spell, Damage, and Fatigue

After having had the benefit of many points of view, I've been able to come up with a visualization that satisfies me with its illustration of why fatigue might be chalked up to Aided ST while wounds would not be. My thinking:

Aided ST is like fuel which one burns with fatigue. The Aid spell temporarily expands the tank and fills it with a quantity of fuel. If one has burnt the amount of Aided fuel or less when the spell wears expires, their fuel level would be the same as it was before Aid was cast. Wounds, however, do not burn fuel. Instead, wounds can be thought of as fuel lost due to holes punctured into the tank which drain the fuel down to their level. If someone whose ST has been increased with Aid is wounded during the duration of the spell, the fuel is drained down to the level of the hole. But, when the spell expires, the extra fuel that was put in the tank, having not been burned for fatigue, disappears, and leaves the fuel level lower than the hole in the tank. If the hole was at a point on the tank at or below the level that determines a volume no greater than the quantity of fuel provided by the Aid spell, the tank will be empty when the fuel disappears upon the spell's expiration and the subject dies.

So, with this conceptualization as a guide, I'd let mundane fatigue (but not wounds) draw from Aided ST.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote