View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #20
LazarusDarkeyes

Default Re: Attribute Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Organism View Post
One thing about this approach is that it actually makes racial attribute modifiers meaningful. If elves get +2 DX in a normal fantasy game, then that isn't really relevant, because the human PCs are likely to have DX 12 or better anyway. If that +2 DX lets you buy up to DX 15 when everyone else is stuck at DX 13, then it's a lot more significant.

I'd suggest letting characters push the limits a bit with an unusual training perk though. Say another +10% (or 20% for ST) with the perk, so it is possible to play a human genius or the worlds strongest dwarf if you really want to.
This line of thinking is actually what inspired me in the first place. The races DO have other exotic traits to distinguish them, but that said, something bugged me.
(a) If race A had +1 ST, and race B had +1 DX and anyone wanted to have a character with at least 11 ST and DX, then the racial choice, in that one regard, didn't matter. With the limits, now it sort of does.
(b) It seemed ridiculous to me that if I had a SUPER strong race with +40 ST that, without these limits, it was fine to have a character of that race with ST 10 anyway (-80% away from the racial norm). Likewise if I had a race whose average IQ was 6 (-4), one could make a character of that race with IQ 18 (+12=+200% here).

I was having some doubts about this though and thus I posted here. It seems the majority think there should be no limits. I'm was mostly convinced until I just typed up the points above. Can anyone address these (especially b)? At this second in time, I'm inclined to keep the limits, but relax them by 10-30%...but I'm still open-minded on the issue.
LazarusDarkeyes is offline   Reply With Quote