View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
JCurwen3

Default Re: Leech (Steal Attribute) vs. Affliction (Attribute Penalty)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
But Affliction can be designed so it has no dodge roll. And of course Affliction is a leveled advantage. Leech isn't. There would be no reason to ever get a second level of Affliction when it would usually be much cheaper just to slap on another enhancement.
Leech can also be designed to have no Dodge roll - just add Malediction, for instance, in which case it's back to a resistance roll (a Quick Contest, in that case). But I think that an Affliction that allows a Dodge or other active defense should be able to have no resistance roll, and that's not the case RAW.

I do take your point on the issue that Affliction is levelled. Leech is also levelled, but its levelling is based on its effects, and Affliction's is based on that resistance roll - but still, with a high enough additional modifier to remove the resistance roll, it should be functionally equivalent to a high level of Affliction (where resistance is virtually impossible).

The thing is that it seems to me that whatever that modifier or level of Affliction is, it shouldn't ever be more costly than doing an equivalent amount of "attribute damage" using Leech (especially since Leech bundles in the self-healing bit).