View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 07:57 AM   #22
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Opinions Wanted re _OGRE In Space_ Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macunaima View Post
Not a bad comparison.

It’s also full of wargaming in-jokes, like the time a wizard summons a cybertank into a fantasy battle. If you’ve ever had any contact with the old SPI game Swords & Sorcery, you’ll appreciate that.

As for Ogres in Space, I’d start with the Triplanetary game and try to construct your ogre using that system.
That was my curiosity...were we talking about putting Ogre combat into Triplanetary, or Triplanetary movement into Ogre?

The former might not be too hard, but means a lot of scratch-building to get the attack/defense/range values right.

With the latter, my big concern is what acceleration is going to do to the math carefully balanced around strike ranges...a GEV that has to spend up to 7 turns getting up to speed before it can start darting in and out of battle severely undercuts its usefulness.

Though I did have a huge "oooh shiny" moment at the idea of having a maximum velocity per unit type, applying gravity at the end of movement instead of next turn (which better fits Ogre's nature), and using that to be able to use a well-timed planetary slingshot to get into range of an enemy that thinks they're safely out of range.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote