View Single Post
Old 03-30-2023, 01:47 AM   #20
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Talent/Spell of the Week: Remove Thrown Spell

I'm partial to treating RTS as spell-specific and not generic. The caster of RTS should have to know (or think they know) the exact spell they are trying to remove -- that just feels like the right flavor.

I'd want to require the caster to point at their target and loudly invoke (in the Sorcerer's Tongue of course) "Remove Blur!" or "Remove Flight!" or "Remove Invisibility!". And if that specific spell isn't present, then RTS fizzles, it costs them 1 ST, and they are aware of it. How would you say "Oops!" in Sorcerer's Tongue?

I'd probably allow RTS to work though if the spell they named was the right sort, just of lesser degree. For example, "Remove Iron Flesh" would be close enough to work even if it turned out the target was only under a Stone Flesh spell. Just maybe, I'd even allow for the opposite and let "Remove Stone Flesh" cast on a target that was actually under Iron Flesh reduce that spell to mere Stone Flesh rather than cancel the enchantment entirely.

What's a shame is that none of these really fun questions ever came up in all my years of play -- no one ever used RTS! Maybe RTS does need a tweak to get it into play, although I'm danged if I can think of what that would be.