View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006, 07:39 PM   #17
Ciaran

Default Re: Very Fit and Extra Effort in combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmet
Well, no. Realistically, doing anything tires you a fraction of FP but that falls below the GURPS radar so we have an abstract rule of getting tired - if you exert yourself you get tired (lose FP) and if you're used to getting tired, you (as an abstract rule) lose less fatigue points when you exert yourself in armor or under extreme conditions. This is the game mechanic meaning of being very fit. Very fit has that price for this effect. If you feel the game effect does not meet your standard of Very Fit you should assign a higher price to the advantage (which is an abstract game tool with a set price for a set function) that is Very Fit.

Cheers...
I see your point, but nowhere under Very Fit does it say "only when wearing armor": by that reading of the rules, taking Very Fit is foolish for anyone not accustomed to wearing armor or carrying a heavy kit - an absurdity on the face of it.

For example: an unarmored Very Fit combatant facing an unarmored combatant without the advantage loses 1fp at the end of each combat (or period of a few minutes my Basic Campaigns is at another house right now, I forget how many minutes it was exactly), just like he does. This is extremely counterintuitive, to say the least. Rather than slavishly following the "round-up" rule, wouldn't it be better to simply asses the Very Fit character's penalty every other "round"?

That's not adding anything extra to the advantage, that's simply applying it as written. The rule says "you lose FP at half the normal rate". To give a character less than that requires some explanation, I would think. I certainly don't feel the need to charge extra to give a character what's explicitly promised in the rules.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote