View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 04:31 AM   #21
Grayscale

Default Re: Combining GURPS and Hackmaster combat system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Also, referencing a separate reply of yours: Note that the system specifically yields higher Recovery for swings than for thrusts. That's for pretty much any weapon, swords included, not just polearms and the like. I think that's in line with the effects you're looking for.
It is, agreed.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by wanting "more inter-spaced attacks". Do you mean more seconds between melee attacks for a typical fighter?
Correct. Again, I'm just eye balling it really, but for some reason I think that a dagger or similar should have Weapon Speed of 1 or 2, a short sword 3 or 4, for a ST of 10. Which raises another concern (that is far down the line in terms of things I have to workout): would I cap weapon speed to 1 and be done with it (I want to say yes)? Or should I allow negative weapon speeds, that somehow translate to more than 1 attack per turn? I think I wouldn't like to.

Quote:
I'm also not sure what you mean by "your recovery divided by half ST". The Recovery stat in GLAIVE is intended to be – it has to be – divided by strength to be of use. I guess I'm misunderstanding something.
It went over my head, despite being very clearly labeled so, that GLAIVE was made with 3e in mind. I was making an attempt at simplifying your Wield ST, Combat ST and Effective ST back into one single attribute (correct me if I'm wrong, I admit I didn't read GLAIVE in much depth as it deserves.

As I said, I though I could just use your recovery values as they are (from the sample table) and work them through some 4e character value to get a weapon speed that seems "right". It seems that this is not the case then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by borithan View Post
That is what I understood as well, that like d&d it is dealing with "effective" attacks, not individual blows (and compared to old d&d's minute per turn actually positively blazing action).
I think you're quite correct. The system tries to pose under realism, but I believe it's really just another form of abstraction. To be fair though, so is GURPS, at least when it comes to melee weapons and crossbows, IMO. A halberd attacking every other second seems far fetched to me, as does a crossbow shooting every 5. It doesn't bother me, intrinsically, just pointing it out.

Here's a little table that I put up in a couple minutes to summarize the basics of how I think it could work: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AmLagTm32rl2gb1M5kjRZ7LSF-2tXg

Also, if it seems that this is doable, I might try and do a combat example like this (though maybe even this one might suffice) to show up what I intend: https://www.kenzerco.com/hackmaster/...at_Example.pdf

Last edited by Grayscale; 06-06-2017 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added info
Grayscale is offline   Reply With Quote