View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #19
Mailanka

Default Re: Backstab Technique: DFish games and reality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Note that most real world sentry removal methods would be difficult to perform with anything longer than a combat knife. This is because grappling the target and preventing it from moving and crying out are an integral part of sentry removal techniques. And using longer blades in Close Combat is penalised.

Of course, GURPS suffers from granularity issues here. Anything up to a Long Knife (up to 23") is +/-0, while anything from a handy shortsword (24") to a woodcutter's axe is -4. More properly, anything longer than 12" or so should probably have a penalty at Reach C, with a -1 for most Long Knives, a -2 for Short Swords, a -3 for some shorter Broadswords or hangers and a -4 for full-sized Reach 1 weapons.
That was kinda my thought. If I were to attempt a "back stab," I would want to step forward and grapple around the mouth first. This means that if I didn't kill him on the first stab, I could go for it again and again and again. Once I had him, I could start stabbing for the vitals, and this isn't the sort of work one does with a rapier or great sword.

I have a hard time imagining a "back stab" with a weapon other than a knife, but it probably involves simply running someone through. It'll be loud and messy and instantly alert everyone around you, but that's ok, you're fairly heavily armed.