View Single Post
Old 04-07-2019, 06:42 PM   #1
Sorenant

Default Magitech Battlesuits

I'm currently working on a framework for power armor/battlesuits for a homebrew fantasy setting of mine and decided to post what I got to hopefuly get someone to point out what I might be doing wrong, or how I can improve it.
As a premise, these are battlesuits for a very cinematic world where

I've always loved knights and power armors, so it's only natural that I would eventually I'd want to mix them. Unfortunately, GURPS doesn't have any ready-made stat for battlesuits fueled by magic to be used in low tech worlds. I've considered statting them as advantage but it never seemed right to me, both because of the high point cost and because I wanted them to be part of the world, not that of the character. However, thanks to the works of giants before me, I've been able to cobble something usable. I'm posting what I got so far here, and I'd appreciate any feedback, particularly those pointing out what I might be doing wrong, or how I can improve.
As a premise, I'm considering a very cinematic world with TL roughly around 5, where firearms uses the Survivable Guns (Pyramid #3-44 Alternate GURPS II) so an average rifle deals 2d+2 (2) pi+ damage, and No School Grognard's Easier Armor Design rules for designing armor and particularly the Duplex Plate modifier to add Hardened (2) to the armors. I'm doing this to keep armor DR low enough so melee weapons are still viable, while also being efficient against firearms. Finally, I'm also using Knowing Your Own Strength (Pyramid #3-83 Alternate GURPS IV) for ST progression.

The core of my framework is the Super Vehicle rules from GURPS Supers, but I opted to use Gadget limitation instead of Ally advantage because I wasn't very happy with the values I was getting with the latter, as it felt too cheap and the way it works (percentage based).
The basic part is a SM+1 battlesuit, it's large enough to fit all the magitech-y stuff while still feeling like a suit and not a vehicle. I started it by statting the armor using the Easier Armor Design: It's a SM+1 suit of plate armor using Industrial Steel and Duplex Plate, with DR 9 (2) on head and torso, 6 (2) on arms and legs, and 4 (2) on hands and feet, weighting around 105 lbs and costing $20,966. Purchasing this armor with point-for-cash at TL5 will cost 9 CP.
To support its size, and to make it really a powered suit, I want this armor to provide the wearer with +5 ST. As a Gadget, it will be External ST (Striking ST + Lifting ST) with the following limitations: Breakable, DR 9 (2) (using the value of DR 18), Machine, SM+1, -35%; Can Be Stolen, Must be forcefully removed, -10%; Nuisance Effect: Real Armor, -5%; Mana Sensitive, -10%. Total -60%. So this will cost 16 CP.
As an advantage, this battlesuit will cost a nice round 25 CP, but I want it to be an equipment so I need to convert it to G$. This is where I'm torn between just using the point-for-cash trading rate and Metatronic Generator's values (Pyramid #3-46 Weird Science). I'm currently set on using the former out of simplicity, so it will cost 25*$2,500=$62,500, which seems to me like a decent value. Summing it up, the final stat is the following:

Basic Magitech Battlesuit: DR 9(2) on head and torso, 6(2) on arms and legs, and 4(2) on hands and feet. Provides External ST 5. Can be targeted at +1 and has HP 20, DR 9(2). 105 lbs. $62,500.

This basic suit would then be customized with modules built in similar fashion, as if it were part of the armor (using the same limitation as the External ST, mentioned as "Armor Addon"), for example:

Flash Step: This module allows the knight to increase their step distance by a yard, and gives an extra +1 to Dodge when retreating.
Statistics: Increased Basic Move 10 (Only when calculating step, -60%; Armor Addon, -60%) [10] + Enhanced Dodge 1 (Only when retreating, -20%; Armor Addon, -60%) [3]
Cost: +$32,500

Gallop: This module greatly improves the knight's running speed, but using it requires their undivided attention.
Statistics: Enhanced Ground Move 2 (All-out, -20%; Armor Addon, -60%) [8]
Cost: +$20,000

Deep Diver: This module seals the armor, making it waterproof, and also provides the ability to breath underwater. Note that the armor is still too heavy to float, so the wearer is limited to walking on the bottom of the water body.
Statistics: Doesn't Breath (Gills, -50%; Armor Addon, -60%) [4] + Nictitating Membrane 1 (Armor Addon, -60%) [1] + Sealed (Armor Addon, -60%) [6] + Pressure Support 1 (Armor Addon, -60%) [2]
Cost: +$32,500

Last edited by Sorenant; 04-07-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote