Thread: Spear Master
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #19
Maz

Default Re: Spear Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
Yes, that's actually exactly what I'm looking at (assuming you mean Sweep). I'm creating a non-lethal Spear Master, so Sweep for downing foes and Targeted Attack for disarming them. Trip and slams might be interesting. I think you also mean the aforementioned Form Mastery, which I'm using. I'll look up Grip Mastery, too. Thanks for the tips!
Ok. At my books and a proper computer now. Yes I misremembered some of them. You are right I meant Sweep and yes armed slams. Ad to that Armed grapple and you got some good none-lethal options with a staff/spear.

And no, I wasn't talking about Form Mastery. Form Mastery lets you switch between two different skills a weapon can be used with.
What I was talking about was Weapon Adaptation. This lets you use a weapon with a different skill. For instance, use a spear - using spear-stats with staff skill. So you can thrust for imp dam with staff skill. Or a shortsword with smallsword (fencing) skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
First of all, where does it say this? (Genuinely asking, in case the lack of disbelief is distorted across the internet.)
Secondly, "points" as in... 1+ CP, even if it doesn't make a difference at higher levels, right?

I don't know about RAW, but IRL I feel like I'd still get the +2 bonus for parrying, even though I've never touched a staff for combat training purposes. I'll report back after next time I'm assaulted by a sword-toting maniac and happen to have a staff in my back pocket.
I am not sure this is explicitly stated but you can see it in the weapons tables of Martial Arts and Low Tech. At least for polearms. Interestingly enough there is no stats for using a spear with staff skill. But I remember asking - Kromm I think - and got the answer that "that's because a spear is basically a staff already".

Here for instance a spear used using Spear skill has: thrust+3 imp. Reach:1,2* and Parry:0.
So when using staff skill it would have: Thr+2 cr/Sw+2 cr. Reach 1,2 and Parry:+2.

Now normally to change between using a weapon with one skill to another. such as going from Spear to Staff takes a Ready action.
Form Mastery allow you to change this almost freely. So you can attack with it in "Spear mode" and then go back to "Staff mode" for that sweet +2 parry. The drawback is that it requires two skills; spear for attack, staff for defense.
This is where Weapon Adaptation comes into play. With this you can fight using "spear stats" but using Staff skill. So now you only need one skill.

Additionally you can add Reverse Grip-technique. (I mentioned Grip Mastery and that's fun too, but not what I was actually thinking off when I mentioned it). Anyway with the Reverse Grip-Technique you can change to reverse grip freely (assuming you make the roll).

Adding all of these three. Means you can buy only one skill. Then stay in Staff-grip for that +2 parry. Then once you need to attack you change to spear-mode and reverse grip to make a thr+4 impaling.
Or as I would prefer -> Sweep, to knock him down, then reverse grip and stab him in the vitals (or eye). If your a weapon master you could do this as a single Rapid Strike!

(reverse grip is also good if locked in CC. If you grab the spear in one hand reverse grip it becomes reach C and suffer no CC penalty).

... I may have munckined a bit with spear-fighting in GURPS before.

Last edited by Maz; 10-01-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote