View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 03:30 AM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default Infinite Worlds, Cabal Cosmology, and Things Man Was Not Meant To Know

I've been tossing around ideas for an Infinite Worlds campaign where, it seems likely the Cabal will play a significant role. But on reflection, I'm not sure I like what appears to be the "standard" way of mixing the Cabal and Infinite Worlds. It's suggested that the multiverse of Infinite Worlds is just one small part of the broader Cabal cosmology... which seems to clash with the general philosophy of Infinite Worlds.

The Infinite Worlds philosophy I'm referring to is the idea that on wordlines with mythic elements, each worldine has its own version of the mythic elements and none is "truer" than any other. Orichalcum and Leviathan have their own versions of Atlantis, and neither has a better claim to being the "true" Atlantis. Orichalcum and Madland both have their own versions of gods, but neither's gods are any truer than the other's gods. The Cabal cosmology seems to mess with this, for example, by elevating the archangels in the Iconic Realm to greater importance than any archangels that might exist on any particular worldline.

I'm thinking of deciding for myself that the Cabalists are deluded, and the Astral Plane and Iconic Realm are just particularly weird corners of the multiverse that Cabalists happen to understand relatively well, and a desire to believe they've got the true secrets of the universe worked out has led them to inflate the importance of these weird little places. Thoughts on doing that?

OTOH, part of me wants to break with the Infinite Worlds philosophy by making all TMWNMTK on all worldlines somehow connected. Would set up a nice big "main threat" for a campaign that eventually ends up with an epic scope.

Your thoughts?
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote