View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #25
Rick_Smith

Default Is the elder game schizophrenic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
When you pull back and look at the full sweep of discussion on this forum, you can see a sort of schizophrenic conflict in our collective thinking: On one hand, many people recognize that the game isn't very fun once 'attribute bloat' sets in (I don't agree, but only because in my experienced characters are always dead before that happens...), and on the other hand they want to have characters be exceptionally powerful, 'maxed out' or 'legendary' in their abilities. ...
Hi larsdangly,
I obviously disagree with this. At one time I was known as a killer GM where people died a LOT. I've got bored with low level characters and my style is that the adventures are more survivable, if people take care.

Also, not counting arena battles where I'm teaching a new player the combat rules, it has been YEARS since I've had an arena fight. My focus is exclusively on long running, complicated, involved campaigns – ones with lots of politics, puzzles, and subtle threats.

Consider that people who like the elder game with advanced characters are hardly schizophrenic if they want the game to play well WITH experienced characters. Such GM's and players will have experienced attribute bloat, and have every right to be concerned about it.

Speaking personally, my goals for the new TFT are quite straightforward. What I have campaigned for most strongly is a modest increase in memory, so that people can have a bandit leader who is ALSO a ranger, or a pirate who is ALSO a thief. I've also asked for cool talents for elder characters, and suggested very modest solutions to attribute bloat. (Steve's solution is FAR larger than anything I suggested.)

These goals, far from being schizophrenic, seem to me to be... logical and tightly focused.

Finally, if Steve fixes the elder game, there is little that will effect the play of low level characters. (Are there any changes that will adversely effect low level characters which concern you?) I confess concern over the powerful talents that Steve has suggested (they have lots of sub abilities which all have to work and be balanced rather than several simpler talents). But they seem to becoming much more balanced.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 07-17-2018 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Expanded argument.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote