View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 02:59 AM   #27
Sindri

Default Re: Wheellocks and Flintlocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Sorry don't know what you mean here?
It's also difficult to show how impressive the inner workings of a watch are. You can do a bit, but mostly what you do is make the outside distinctive and develop a reputation for making technically impressive watches. People recognize the brand and you thus benefit from your investment in the invisible inner working of your watch.

Quote:
That my latter point about multiplicative cost factors
It's also what I've been saying the whole time.

Quote:
Actually I'm not, my point was it not even additive its separate, status so decoration really is not on top of craftsmanship of internet mechanism, because as I said you don't see the latter, and it also quite hard to infer it action unless you actually doing proper side by side assessment. That leaves aside that more complex does't mean better, and better is a likely judgement.
If you perceive it, it's a separate factor that improves the resulting total impressiveness. Which is to say, something which is additive.

If you can't perceive it, it's effectively non-existent.

Quote:
How does it allow you throw on more stuff? (more complex, mechanisms need more time and effort just to achieve their basic functionality). What do you even mean by throwing on more stuff, more importantly why is more stuff going to lead to increased status?
It constitutes more stuff. You have the exterior decorations and you also have bonus cool stuff in the form of an impressive mechanism. You want as much coolness as you can get without being gauche and this allows you to get more than just what you can get with exterior decorations.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there are some sub cultures that would not take the decorative CF factors into account when assessing a weapon, but rather the CF of balances and v.fine.

Form vs. function, they are not mutually exclusive but neither are they exactly 50/50.
A sub-culture can also be envisioned that disdains decoration but it's irrelevant. Allow me to remind you that I'm not commenting generically here. This is not a guide concerning how to make impressive weapons. It's a defense of an idea concern a specific sub-culture in a specific setting.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote