View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 05:20 AM   #6
dataweaver

Default Re: Ritual Path Magic power limitations (connection, space, etc.)

Also, note that GURPS Powers has something to say about this, too: p.178, under Spirit Powers, is a section on Ritual Modifiers. If you apply this option, then an Ability that would normally operate according to Long-Distance Modifiers can instead use penalties based on the Sympathetic connection you've managed to achieve. It also applies bonuses and penalties for Consecration (ritual space), Regalia (ritual trappings), and Ritual Length.

While it's listed as being specific to Abilities based on the Spirit power modifier, I'd be perfectly fine applying it to a RPM-based Ability. If you choose to go this route instead of trying to treat Ritual Elements as Accessibility Limitations, I would allow Ritual Adept to negate appropriate penalties. Specifically, I'd allow it to negate penalties for Consecration and Regalia: the “Affecting Others” modifiers are essentially an alternative to Long-Range Modifiers, and Ritual Length is phrased in terms of providing bonuses for taking your time; so there are no time-related penalties to negate.

Note that what penalties there are tend not to be as harsh as their RPM counterparts: the Consecration penalties, for instance, only apply to ground that has been ritually desecrated instead of being a default if you haven't done the minimum consecration. So you're not going to get as much bang for your buck from Ritual Adept.

Last edited by dataweaver; 02-11-2018 at 09:35 AM.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote