View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 07:42 PM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: [Powers] Melee Cone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You should have to roll to hit targets with a sweeping melee attack, though.
Unless it's built as an Emanation/AoE centered on one's self.

In GURPS you don't build to respect reality but rather to respect the effect you want.

A sweeping attack that cannot miss? Area + Emanation.

I'd probably reduced the cost to +25 and call it Area (Arc) and rule it can hit 3 contiguous hexes that are all within reach.

A sweeping attack that can miss but has the chance to hit everything in it's path? Area (Arc) +25%.

Sweeping attack that can hit a limited number (Y) of targets within Reach? Y-1 Extra Attacks (Multi Strike, +20%; Single Skill, -20%; Specific Weapon/Innate Attack Only, -??%).

[EDIT]
Note, because the latter is so much more costly than the former, if a Player said "How do I build a 'Blazing Sword' attack that let's me hit like, say, up to 3 enemies in a line all within reach?"

I'd point them to the first build (Area (Arc)) and say "Just slap on Limited Targets [3], -0%". And then they'd be only able to hit up to 3 enemies in row (within reach). If there were more than 3 targets in the area, things could get ... odd, but within reason we'd come to terms with how to deal with it. Say four regular sized figures? Only three are hit. A cluster all grappling? A chance to hit the wrong targets as well as the designated ones. A swarm? Well, it is an Area attack...

;)
[/EDIT]

Last edited by evileeyore; 06-25-2017 at 07:53 PM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote