View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 06:53 AM   #49
Bruno

Default Re: Hall of Judgment for the DFRPG: Now LIVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
One thing I would recommend would be to give the monsters some extra powers like AD&D gave to its demons. Not just physical powers but magical and Infernal powers because DF PCs are death machines and mere physical attacks usually are not enough. The peshkali in DF has no magical or Infernal powers compared to a Type V demon in AD&D. The fae should also have a lot of supernatural powers too IMO.
This is definitely part of good adventure design and overall campaign design, in my experience.

When the party has access to the full suite of fantasy coolness, but they regularly face foes who are only threats in mundane ways (regardless of how exotic they are), things can become a bit monotonous, and PCs tend to converge on hyper-efficiency at dealing with those physical problems. A major consequence is also that PCs with builds that are supposed to be for dealing with other kinds of challenges become disproportionately "less useful", which is un-fun.

Of course if your entire party is nothing but Knights, Barbarians, Swashbucklers, and Scouts (and possibly a Thief) then you might be getting a strong signal that the players want a different kind of game.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote