View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #1219
kmunoz

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
The Film Reroll is amazing, but has a couple of drawbacks. First, they seem adverse to mentioning that they are playing GURPS. I don't know why this is, but I don't think I every recall them mentioning the game system and only found out about it when I found one of the character sheets they had posted. This is despite me often searching specifically for GURPS content podcasts.

Also, it is audio only, and (anecdotally) I know fewer and fewer folks just listening to podcasts and instead spending more time watching videos (sometimes just videos of pod casts).

Now, I do think it would translate really well to an animated style, even if just short bits of it at a time are done. I've seen fans animate bits of Critical Roll, but it's audience is (I assume) considerably larger than Film Reroll and thus more likely to have fan animators. If I had any animation talent I'd reach out to the creators and see about working on videos, but unfortunately I do not.

You're moving the goalposts, though.

My point was that The Film Reroll is an example of a non-storytelling RPG podcast that does well and is entertaining. The system underlying an roleplaying production doesn't have to be minimalist or numbers-light, if the people involved know how to make it entertaining.

Yes, they rarely mention the game system. They mentioned it quite a bit in the first episode, but not after. So they've mentioned it exactly 1 more time than, say, Dan Harmon mentions Pathfinder in HarmonQuest. But to expect them to mention it more is to misconstrue the focus and nature of their podcast (and to misconstrue the reason I use them as an example).

If they had any reason to mention GURPS, they would. But they don't. They're not advertising the system. Their goal isn't to get more people to play it. But if it were, the amount of adjustment they'd have to do to get there is minimal.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote