View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #37
Frost

Default Re: Creating Military Culture From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
Useful list. I get why elections for officers would have difficulty lasting long but why do you think the same of continuity between officers and NCOs?
There are a number of reasons why there isn't nessecarly any continuity between the two roles, all of which have already touched upon by others.

My primary thoughts when including the caveat were the difficulty of establishing a distence between personel and higher leadership, something that friends with military backgrounds have always treated as desirable if not strictly nessecary, on a continuous scale of promotion and the degree of retraining needed in order to progress between NCO and traditional officer ranks.

Actualy my second reason is probably less of a difficulty than I thought- various comonwealth reserve units promote from enlisted to officer on 10-12 weeks (in total) training. Regular units might use a more intensive course i.e. 10-12 weeks full time rather than over one to two years but the actual mechanics should be similar.

I am actualy kicking myself for not including another item on the list namely non-standard or ad-hoc unit organisation particularly at higher (batalion upwards) levels.

Last edited by Frost; 09-26-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote