View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #23
Refplace

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#31): Cultural Familiarity, Cultural/Xeno-Adaptabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Sociology tends to be more about big organizations, and cultures that have big organizations, and the class or caste stratification that such cultures often develop. Anthropology is more focused on small societies or small groups in bigger societies. Of course there's some overlap, but the characteristic methods differ.
Ah thank you. I had thought of Anthropology as the study of ancient cultures but on checking it appears that is only a part of it.
So after reading definitions for both sciences what I think would be useful would be to use either one as a complimentary roll to offset CF penalties, so you could have Cultural Familiarity for no penalty or the appropriate science for figuring out and adjusting for the penalties but requiring a roll.
Anthropology for most social skills, Sociology for organizational or highly structured groups and thus probably applying to Savior-faire.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote