View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #43
Andreas

Default Re: Giving mental disadvantages as results of behaviour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Well then how does this relate to the OP? Ordinary people can want to help, do nothing to help and feel terrible about it later (and I suspect probably do).
The topic of this discussion has wandered a bit from the OP, but how common full-blown disadvantages are can be relevant for whether they are something you would almost inevitably develop from consistently acting in a certain way as described in the OP (which I don't think is a good idea for most games by the way. As you pointed out earlier, using Fright Checks is probably a better idea).

Quote:
It's present on eight of the ten templates in Champions. This thread (especially this post and this one) may be enlightening (or not; I'm still not sure what I think about it).
The general conclusion I draw from reading that thread is that Honesty as written in the Basic Set is unsuitable for most Monster Hunters games (with the PCs being members of a legal goverment task force being an exception).

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Well clearly it wouldn't let you pull a Supernatural in which you run around impersonating FBI agents, but that isn't really necessary for what they do. It's just...something they do. Kolchak, Mulder, Buffy, Van Helsing...they'd all be fine most of the time.
I was thinking more along the lines of the activities described in the GURPS Monster Hunters books, but I think the Honesty disadvantage would be problematic for some of your examples as well.

If I remember correctly, Buffy frequently featured crimes such as breaking and entering (occasionally there were also more spectacular crimes such as stealing an anti-tank missile from a military base...).

A lot of time has passed since I watched the X-files, but I don't remember Mulder being very careful with following the law (though as an FBI agent, Honesty would probably be far more manageable than if he was a vigilante) I have not watched Kolchak or Supernatural and I'm not at all knowledgeable about what laws applied to Van Helsing, so I can't really comment on those.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote