View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #42
Lucian

Default Re: Armor for points, not money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Another example. Say I want a thrusting greatsword as Sig gear, 900 money, 2pts, well and good.

I want my sword to be balanced. That costs . . . 7 more points!

I could raise my Two Handed Sword skill and have 3pts left over
Yeah, I'm pretty convinced that they we're not thinking of the Low Tech add on when they wrote signature gear. And Certainly didnt consider sig gear when coming up with prices for Low Techs options.

But thats what Low Tech is, Options.

Prices are based I think on Rarity... it should be fairly rare to find a smith with enough skill to balance a weapon normally unbalanced.

( I didnt even know that was in low tech btw)

or finding a master tailor, or an armorer who can flute.

Thats why these things are so expensive. I think, inherently, they are not meant to be " start at play" options.

It's true not everyone plays that typical, progression type of Game, where all players start off as hero wannabe's .

But I think the books are written with that assumption, in many cases.

In the real world, like in the books, Pricing is related to supply and demand right? Even artificially so, look at the price of Daimonds right now and try and reconcile the fact that if more we're released into circulation (they're sitting in a vault somewhere). My fiance's ring would be worth less.

Another example, my fiance's, Beanie Baby we just found out, is from like 1994 and worth 1,000$ .... We're talking about a tiny doll filled with pvc pellets.

So yeah, price is virtually never equal to Value, Character Points are all about Value...price is price.

I think, when creating options like master tailoring they we're trying to reflect that their is only a handful of people usually capable of doing this.
And so thats why its so high, and its meant to be worked up too.

You'd have to drastically alter the amount of money signature gear grants, I think that, is the simplest answer for this. ANd someone else suggested it a few pages back.

Instead of 500 per point maybe like 5,000 or whatever.

And as long as everyone can get super awesome items its fair and balanced, and as long as the challenges they face are still challenging even with all those super awesome items then the game is still fun.

You'd probably end up with more of a cinematic game.

E-mail me if you have questions enniya.questions@gmail.com
Lucian is offline   Reply With Quote