Thread: Dodgin' Bullets
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 12:50 PM   #50
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Dodgin' Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
The problem with this, again, is that Dodge for firearms does NOT involve dodging the bullet. The speed of the projectile (or laser beam) is completely irrelevant. You dodge the line of sight of the shooter, really. You dodge his presentation (his aim). You move erratically. Again, all the discussions about the velocity of the bullet miss the point. The reason is that we KNOW that you cannot dodge a bullet by seeing the projectile and moving out of its way. However, we also KNOW that you can dodge the presentation and that you can make hitting yourself more difficult. That is Dodge. I concede that the terminology might be flawed, as it lumps it together with dodging things that you can, actually, evade this way (baseballs, spears, 40-mil grenades, etc), but it works.

Cheers

HANS
Dodge This as an article is for those that want to use the speed of the projectile as a factor in things. That's one of the whole points of the article. If you want to "dodge the point of aim" as GURPS has as its basis, then you throw that part of the article away, and if anything just bring out the Perception-based rules to limit situational awareness.

But - again, for the purposes of the article Dodge This! - the velocity is very much the point.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote