View Single Post
Old 11-28-2022, 08:05 PM   #6
Bill_in_IN

Default Re: That which I kill fails to makes me stronger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
I embrace the new XP rules instead of the old 1 XP per 1 damage. I like it getting away from combat focused XP. The old system punished team players that were contributing in ways that did not do damage (tanks, bolas, leaders, naturalists, physickers, thieves, etc)

So, I give out an equal amount of XP to everyone per session as a base. I tend to give out a high amount. I then also give out bonus XP to one or more characters for doing the right thing or lucky shot or exceptional deed etc. I have to think about it every session to make sure I am finding things to reward and that I am rewarding behavior that is contributing to the story for everyone. I definitely reward selfless heroics that works (if it fails then it was just being stupid).

I estimate that I always give out a bonus per session, sometimes several. A bonus may be as much as the session base XP, but is usually less.

I also threaten (maybe just initially) to give out XP penalties if playing out of character. If a character does something that is just out of their nature without at least some kind of emotional or logical reason why it was essential, they can expect to lose some XP. I have never had to do so. For example, our dwarves never pass an opportunity to seek riches (GM, "The chest is clearly trapped and you cannot find a way to disarm it, what are you going to do?" Dwarf, "I am not leaving until we open it, if I have to do it myself").
See Page 10 of Classic ITL.

While XP was more combat oriented, it allowed for plenty of GM discretion so that it wouldn't be much different than the current XP award system.

Last edited by Bill_in_IN; 11-29-2022 at 08:05 AM.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote