View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #6
tbeard1999

Default Re: Hold Fire in Ogre/GEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I'm not sure I agree that these problems exist.

This is a phantom issue. It relies on "the terrain not cooperating" but in your example, there are few places the GEV can retreat to that the LT can't follow. About the only example is if a stream is in the way, but the LT is most likely out of position if this happens. Besides, the whole point of a GEV is that it's able to do exactly this; they are supposed to be fast strike-and-retreat units.
Sorry, but it’s real. I used it to defeat another wargamer awhile back. He was unhappy that such artificial tactics worked.

And a tank that is waiting on an enemy unit to enter range would be able to engage that enemy unit when it did so. Particularly with the kind of advanced targeting systems that one would expect in 2085. The fact that it isn’t that tank’s “turn” wouldn’t matter in real life.

Quote:
You haven't given a clear enough description of where the units are relative to the edge of the water. Don't forget that GEVs must stop at the edge of the water in current rules. If the GEV is far enough into the water that the LT can't reach it, it's also not on the water's edge and can't advance close enough to attack.
Breakthrough scenario. Lt tank was occupying the 1 hex of clear terrain between the swamp and wood hexes. Hex 2007 on color map; 1608 on original map. Occupying that hex was critical because it was the GEVs only clear route on that end of the board. (I’d have put a heavy tank there, but I digress). The GEVs came up the river into the lake, then “strafed” the light tank.

Quote:
That's what makes the game interesting. The positioning is the hallmark of why the game is good; it's supposed to be hard to get the first shot.
The problem is that it’s artificial. There’s no rational reason why a tank can’t engage a target when it enters effective range.

Quote:
You have to decide if you want to hold the position or advance; that's the whole point. This example also presumes single units, which is rarely the right tactical move in G.E.V. This issue is nullified by bringing a different tactic to the board (flanking, numbers, etc). I don't see this as a problem, or artificial.
Then we disagree.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote