View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
Nymdok

Default Re: What's with the modesty about stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vynticator View Post
Having read quite a few threads about real world stats, I find myself a bit puzzled by what seems to be the prevailing wind in Stats theory on these forums.

GURPS Raw have human stats up to 20, but ST can go higher in an unspecified manner. But on the forums, it seems as if even conceiving of a character with a stat higher than 14, 15 at a push, is a step into super-munchkin world.

I read someone suggesting Leonardo Da Vinci had IQ around 16, the other day. Now, if we take the rules as written, we surely have to imagine a scale that does use a wider spread of stats. If people like Leonardo Da Vinci, Einstein, Socrates, Shakespeare, Darwin (maybe?) - didn't have IQ at 20 or nearly there, then who did? These guys changed human history with their thinking, often across a huge range of fields or integrating many different intellectual pursuits.

Likewise, if world class combatants or acrobats don't have DX 20, what is the meaning of having it there as a human maximum?

That line of thinking just seems odd to me. I don't object to saying 'my game is embedded in harsh realism and I will stat cap at 14 for PCs' at all, it's the idea that the most renowned figures in human history had peak stats at 16 or so.
Its just a number used to differentiate PCs and NPCs from each other. Dont obsess over it so much. We do a lot of debating on these fora, most of it just for the sake of debate.

There is a general wind of realisim/simulationism that keeps that number low and Ive even seen some statistical arguments on the web that argue that only one person in recorded history has ever had IQ 17.

The general Idea is that IQ is such a broad ranging stat that no one is that generally good at everything. Keep in mind that IQ here has nothing to do with a test score. It covers Mathematical, Social, Memorization, Deductive, Engineering and a host of other skills. With that in mind, and the fact that GURPS has ways with more resolution to model people (Talents, Skills, etc) that most people find it to be more 'reasonable' to design them in this way.

Note that this is also the argument for keeping DX scores low. As DX affects a host of skills, Basic Speed (read that reaction time), 'Large muscle' dexterity (like trapeeze work and combat), 'small muscle' dexterity (like lockpicking and craftwork), Movement and flexibility, it is more 'realistic' to some to have a lower DX and simply buy up the skills or take advantages to highlight the strengths. Think of the attributes as the ultimate Skill! skill.

Einstein was a smart guy. But how do we model that? Generally these fora side with Giving him an above average IQ, a few levels of Math talent and high skills in Math and physics. Note that by doing it this in this way, Einstein isnt represented as an amazing socialite. If you were to just model him in your game by giving him a High IQ as a shorthand, then thats just fine as well. Generally speaking Ben Franklin is the guy I hear most often when mentioning 'real world' examples of those with high IQ.

Take an (American) Football Player, say for example a Running Back. Their DX covers basic speed, basic move, the ability to catch a ball, dodge, spin, and do other sorts of what I refer to as 'Large Muscle' Dexterity. But can they touch their toes? Pick a lock? This can then be used to argue that a lower DX is in order with skills in running, enhanced dodge, Sport (Football), and points spent in other areas. Generally speaking, when I think of who has an amazingly high overall DX, I think of Harry Houdini.

Consider these arguments, but if your comfortable in your games running the stats up to 20, then do so. The only stat that has a hard, physical world correlation, is ST.

The point is, know your scale and scope. If your Ok with it, and your players are ok with it, then run it that way. :) There is no IQ test score correlation to go with the Stat. There is no DX correlation in the real world to go with the stat. Its just a way to differentiate people from one another, which is all any number on your charachter sheet is for.

One final caveat. Note that letting the Attributes run up to 20 for IQ and DX is going to 'shift' the probability curve to the right a bit and will require heavy situation modifiers to bring it back to left for that 8-12 sweet spot that we keep for tasks.

Have Fun,
Nymdok

Last edited by Nymdok; 12-11-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote