View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 08:53 PM   #19
larsdangly

Default Re: Game-world size of hexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
I made a map with straight walls that has three+ adjacent half-hexes. In this case, as the rules go, the unit gets to occupy another legal half hex, player's choice.

Picture:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...64/unknown.png
I see; you accomplished that by drawing rectilinear features that don't follow the guidelines I suggested above. Of course you are free to do that, but it naturally will break up the hex space in much more complex ways. I was imagining that all rectilinear features would have borders that either trace along the 'dashed line' defined by a set of hex sides in one direction, or along the 'charlie brown's shirt zig zag' along the orthogonal direction. In that case, what I wrote should be always or almost always true. If instead you draw features freely, without considering hex boundaries at all, then of course you will create all kinds of peculiar geometries and you would need a different rule. The one you suggest (pick which adjacent half hex you want to also occupy) might be good. Personally, I would still prefer my original suggestion, as it avoids having to keep track of a piece of information that isn't obvious to both sides just from looking at the map.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote