View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 02:53 PM   #16
larsdangly

Default Re: Game-world size of hexes

It is a fair question as to what you do when your only choice is to move through either of two half hexes. This might be just one narrow situation, but it actually will arise in the case where you move down 1-hex-wide spaces at certain orientations. But I think it is quite easily resolved with some explicit rules about how half hexes work:

1) A 1-hex figure or part of a multi-hex figure may occupy a 'half hex' just as it would a full hex (that way half-hex-only spaces are not artificially 'blocked') .

2) Any full hex adjacent to an occupied half hex is considered to be unoccupied by but adjacent to the figure in the half hex, i.e., with respect to rules governing engagement, rear attacks, etc.

3) Any half hex, 'A', immediately adjacent to (i.e., sharing a common hex side) an occupied half hex, 'B' is considered to be also occupied by the figure in half-hex B.

4) Do your best not to draw your maps in such a bizarre fashion that you create three immediately adjacent half hexes (this should never occur if your half hexes arise from attempts to draw straight walls, but you never know what some people will try to do!).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote