View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 01:15 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#33): Danger Sense, Precognition, Psychometry

One of my players tends to take Danger Sense and even Precognition.
While I agree that it adds some considerations and complications to GMing, I'd say that it's nowhere near as bad as the trait's reputation seems to suggest.

Over the years, I think the way to make it worth the points but not game-breaking is to interpret the precognitive usefulness in the following way:
It should provide information that as about as useful to the a 'quest' as information that can be gained using other abstract means (e.g. 10-25 points worth of Ally Group (Spies), of Intelligence Analysis etc.); it should provide this information in such a way that it is useful long before the predicted events happen, and should not be a retrospect-justifiable prophecy like the infamous 'will destroy a big empire' one; this information-gaining should normally not be duplicatable by mundane means, and should not normally duplicate the info-gathering ability of mundane means - it should provide some different angle instead.

(Also, my PC in a non-GURPS MtA campaign currently has Danger Sense, which functions similarly but not identically to the GURPS version, so maybe it'll give me some other insights into the topic.)