View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #63
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Talent (or advantage) needed for spell casting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
I played with the idea of having Magic Talent. It cost (I think) 5 IQ points and it reduced the cost of spells to 1/2 IQ point each. Without the Magic talent, spells cost 3 points.

Anyhow, it more or less replicated the hero/wizard distinction.

Then I asked myself - “what’s the point of changing a very simple and straightforward rule?” I decided that there was no point other than to show that I could needlessly complicate a simple rule. So I discarded it.

A lot of TFT modifications (including many of mine) fall into that category, IMHO.
Hi everyone, Ty.
I can see three reasons why something like this would be good:

-- If the rules specifically suggest that the GM can tune the cost of being able to use magic, then different campaign types will arise. Some will have a very strong class distinction, others will allow worlds where everyone can learn a spell or two. I believe more variety and an easy way for the GM to tweak his or her campaign is good.

-- It is looking like the current shape of the new TFT rules make wizards even stronger. (Steve admitted that advanced wizards are more powerful than advanced heroes, and the new rules make this considerably worse.) As I have said before, I like that there is a nice balance between wizards and heroes, and I was bothered that this balance was lost as the characters became more experienced. If you have to pay a steep cost up front, then wizards pay for this advantage.

-- It gets rid of several fussy rules. Fighters pay 3:1 for spells. Wizards pay 2:1 for talents (Why are these number different???). Wizards pay 1:1 for several talents. (Insert list to remember here.) One logical rules makes all this nonsense go away.

Apart from these arguments, I liked that TFT was a classless system. No D&D style Thieves, Fighters, Paladins, Rangers and Monks. I could grow into what ever type of character I wanted!

Except wizards. There was a class distinction between wizards and heroes. Oh, well. It sucks, but that was what was published.

However, with new TFT being created and with us having a chance to give some input on what will be there, I think that costing wizards logically could be cool.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote