View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: Layered Cutting Edge Armour

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
... I will note again that plate carriers exist because some units wanted to sacrifice some protection for mobility, so that tradeoff does exist in the real world.

That isn't true, hence plate carriers.
I don't know about MTV, but the TL 8 Assault Vest in High Tech (apparently based on Interceptor OTV body armor) has the flexible armor weighing as much as the plates, and cutting weight (nearly) in half could easily be something some units would be willing to sacrifice some protection for. Thin plate carriers may also be more comfortable to wear over long periods, which doesn't translate well to GURPS mechanics. Finally, there's always the possibility that the penalties eliminated by switching to plate carriers are below the resolution of a full -1 to DX - maybe they'd be more appropriate as a penalty to specific DX-based skills, or they increase the effective Bulk of firearms, or something similarly-finicky.

Note I'm just listing alternate possibilities - it may well be the case that you are correct, and trauma plates should function as layered armor when combined with flexible armor.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote