View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 12:15 AM   #23
Tomsdad

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Chinese Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
Yeah, but at lest we made some progress though it sucks that I didn't end up helping as much as I thought I was. Thought my model was getting really close but it seems that I made an error somewhere on my test sheet. Thank god I didn't use it for my GURPSday post!

This is one of the reason I don't like the "closed box" mind set that 4th editions has had. It's hard to have a generic system if I don't know how to play with it's numbers (though don't get me wrong, I do understand why they felt pressured to do so. I just don't like it heh).

Yeah, it would be nice to have both, as you an always use teh one you personally want. I knew at one point there was an armourer's book suggested (maybe as part of VDS) but I don't know of that still going ahead. It would have the similar commercial issues as VDS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
But now that we're pretty sure that we've figured out what's going on with the Crouching Tiger Gun, it's time to move on to why the scattershot range is different from what High Tech suggests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Not to mention why a full-caliber lead ball has the same range as 100 smaller sub-caliber shot from the Long-Range-Awe-Inspiring Gun.
I always assumed that was a typo on the page as you basically have three sets of range stats repeated (but that doesn't actually answer the question I realise)

I think part of thr problem i not actually knowing what these guns are. Which would help with working backwards from reality.

So for sample I can look up a brown bess musket etc, but what's a crouching Tiger gun and what's a Long-Range Awe-Inspiring Gun (and more importantly what's the difference). Of course as has been pointed out this is not the era of standardisation and not only is there overlap of terms but terms were also nebulous and variable etc.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote