View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
Blood Legend

Default Re: GURPS Overhaul - Combat Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I don't honestly see a substantial difference between a shortsword and a broadsword - certainly no more difference than between a hatchet and a large (but still one-handed) axe.
I want to say from personal experience, as soon as you put a second hand on a weapon it becomes an entirely different beast but not something I'd charge more than a perk to buy off the penalties for. In regards to spear/staff; techniques and stances used to properly stab someone with a shaft of wood are different from those used to parry and swing. This is still only worth a perk to me. Also hilts are vital to parries. Extremely vital. In the real world, options simply shut off without a hilt on your weapon, making parries vastly more difficult.

I really need that article with Set-up Attacks in it..

For weapon breakage, I do it the long way. Using the x3 weight rule only to decide when 'every' strike will damage a weapon with one added rule: An attack that is parried by 0 strikes the parrying weapon no matter the differences in weight. Treat the weapons like characters. Armoury is now First Aid for objects, and the objects actual damage isn't known until after that "First Aid" assessment, unless it broke during battle. Smart warriors' weapons break less often. Failed HT rolls on "Major Wounds" break the weapon in a way that it is still usable (perhaps with a different skill), a failed "Death Check" disables the weapon entirely.

Modify weapon HT as follows:

Wall Hanger: -2
Cheap: -1
Good: +0
Fine: +1
Very Fine: +2
Super Fine: +3
Hyper Dense: +4

We have weapon stats in Low-Tech now, there's no reason we shouldn't use them.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Blood Legend; 08-17-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote