View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Varyon

Default GURPS Overhaul - Combat Skills

This is the first in a short series of threads discussing some rather large house rules I've been considering. As the title implies, this addresses combat skills. It modifies the way GURPS deals with what combat skills are, how the various skills are interrelated (that is, defaults), and also makes some modifications to the way defenses work. This initial posting is divided into several posts. This first is the introduction to the concepts. Next up is the list of combat skills and options to modify them. Finally is a new treatment for defenses, as well as some special situations. The third post covers some special situations. All that said, let's get into it...

We start with the introduction and justification. First off, I feel GURPS has too many combat skills, and the defaults between them are far too harsh. I don't honestly see a substantial difference between a shortsword and a broadsword - certainly no more difference than between a hatchet and a large (but still one-handed) axe. Additionally, some skills are largely redundant (looking at you, Sabre and Lance), while others are simply enhancements (Knife->Main-Gauche). There are also some strange effects, like being unable to thrust using Staff if the end of the weapon is pointy. There also exists the fact that being skilled in any form of melee combat should give an advantage over those who are less skilled, even if you aren't using the particular weapons you've trained with. Finally, I'd like to address some damage-related realism issues, namely that weapons never sustain so much as a nick unless they are a) specifically targeted or b) outright break when parrying heavy weapons. I also offer up some new options that should make hand/arm wounds closer to as common as in historical warfare.

EDIT: This system is now out-dated, please see the new version here.

Last edited by Varyon; 06-23-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote