View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #30
whswhs

Default Re: my new campaign ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Except that as far as I remember damaged human is 1, typical human is 2, best possible human is 3, so where's the nuance in characters' interactions with normal people and their attempts to live normal lives? I'd say it's a quarter or less of the GURPS resolution if you look at it in terms of what stat levels are meant to mean (as opposed to what the system gives you).
Huh? No. There's no indication that Attributes are so limited. Abilities are limited to 3 during initial creation, but you can buy them up with freebie points, and actually fairly cheaply. Three dots is described as "on the higher side of average," which surely doesn't sound like the limit of human capability.

For example, the writeup for Intelligence says that 4 dots is IQ 140 and 5 dots is IQ 160+. If you take that literally, I'm at 4 dots, and I think a number of the people I know are as well. Likewise, 4 dots of Stamina lets you run a marathon; 4 dots of Charisma means that large numbers of people are drawn to you; 4 dots of Wits is enough to be a standup comedian. Even if you don't take those literally, they are clearly trying to indicate things that are exceptional but not impossible.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote