View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 01:29 PM   #10
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Disads: the Second Best CP Deal in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Back in the day, I accepted a friend's offer to run a Champions campaign. He specified 100 point base and up to 150 points in disads. I built characters for myself and C, both of which were around 100 points in disads. He had a terrible time running games for us, and I think he was totally flummoxed that we hadn't gone all the way to the limit. But really, neither of us could think of disads past the first 100 points that fit our character concepts.
What I noticed back in that time period was that most disads made more work for the GM and that was almsot always me because people who were actually good at making vharacters in a mechanical sense were quite rare.

I seem to remember that the way i ended up doing things was to mandate characters built on 200 pts with a mavimum 50 pts in Disads just to cut down on the number of "limping wonders" ass I called them.

Limping wonders are still a potential problem in Gurps. When I can get people to listen to me I tell them to choose Disads first based on how they see their characters. That gets you an initial budget. Then you move on to major expenses which are usually major Attribute levels and/or Ads.

Then you finish up spending the remaning CP 1 or 2 pts at a time and don't hit those last minute brainstorms that make your players think they need to go back and amputate some part of their character's body to afford something else.

A lot of times people don't listen to me. They get dazzled by the huge lists of things to look at and believe that they have to look at everything on every list.

Soem GMs respond to this with Templates but Templates are themselves multiple lists of mandatory choices that have to be looked at.