View Single Post
Old 08-27-2016, 03:21 AM   #28
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Rapid Fire bonus and Rcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
What you're saying here isn't at all compatible with the GURPS rapid fire rules. Rapid fire in GURPS does serve to increase the chance of producing at least one hit. Indeed, that's the main effect of firing more rounds, once you get beyond semi-automatic fire.
You do realize that Hans probably had a lot of input in the original rules, right? The man literally wrote the book on firearms in GURPS and is a consultant for freaking Janes. He's one of the finest experts on firearms in the world. That's not sycophantic defense either, that's just fact. You can decry that he doesn't know what he's talking about, but for the majority of us you're just screaming at a wall. Have you ever fired a fully automatic weapon? Because what he's describing is exactly what happens and what GURPS approximates is about what occurs in reality. It's still a playable abstraction, but that's appropriate since this is a game after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
We've just changed the bonus progression in my games, and I think Mark L does this too. Half the SSR bonus for shots fired works pretty well.

So 1-2 shots - no bonus
3-5 shots, +1
6-10 shots, +2
11-20 shots, +3
Then 50 (+4), 100, (+5), 200 (+6), etc.

YMMV, of course, but this gets the right kind of behavior for us. Firing three shots has some advantage over 1 or 2. Slow automatic fire (less than 600 rounds/min) is +2, most rifles in the 600-850 rnds/min range are +3, gatling guns are +4 or +5.
Yeah, I've considered doing this for Aeon, just for that exact effect.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote