View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #40
Agemegos

Default Re: Coolant [Spaceships]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvannrederode View Post
In my own in-development setting, I'm toying with the idea that the superscience behind reactionless drives is very sensitive to relativistic effects, and their performance drops off drastically as speed increases, before just not working at all at some point.
Umm. Speed in what frame of reference? If you are about to discard the Principle of Relativity, it's best not to draw attention to the Theory of Relativity right at the point where you do it.

My earnest advice is that an inertialess, reactionless, pseudovelocity, or FTL drive cannot be made convincing, and the more you try the more you draw attention to the exact spot that you want players to look away from. Get over heavy ground as light as you can. Tell players the operational characteristic of your superscience as briefly and baldly as possible, flush the pseudoscientific rationalisation, and pass quickly to some other point of interest, such as technoninjas, pirate catgirls, and the Neo-Confucian Space Empire. Players don't worry about physics problems while their techo-youxia are flirting with the guards on the air-gangway of a pirate-catgirl space-cruiser.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote