View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 04:42 AM   #26
coronatiger

Default Session 4 (2018-12-08)

Thoughts on June 12th

We still keep watch at night, although things seem to be very quiet around here. Olivia and I tried to remain alert, but we’ve discovered that it’s difficult to do so for a prolonged period of nothing.

Lady Karita found a fibery plant today. She claimed it could be used to make cloth or ropes. It didn’t look very exciting, but I suppose someone might want to harvest it. In that case, this could be a good spot to build a farm. Tomorrow, Lady Karita will take Magnar along to map out the extent of the plant growth.

Thoughts on June 13th
Nothing happened during our watch this morning. That is to say, nothing that the others would like to hear about.

When Lady Karita, Kine and Magnar went to look for more of the fibery plants, Olivia helped me set up for practice again. We had a good day in camp. Come to think of it, we’ve been very lucky with the weather on this trip.

Thoughts on June 14th

Today was another one when nothing happened, except that we exited the forest. The new terrain looked just as boring as the forest has been, but the change of scenery kept things interesting for a while. Magnar is still grumbling a little, but otherwise, things are going well. We can’t be very far away from Garuk now.

Thoughts on June 15th

Olivia keeps finding things when I start getting bored. Today she found some huge footprints. They were vaguely humanlike, but a lot bigger, and the people who made the tracks didn’t wear shoes. The tracks point towards the forest in the south. Magnar guessed that the giants might have come from the Iron Mountains, having skirted Garuk on their way south. I tried to draw one of the footprints on a sheet of paper. I’m not very used to drawing, but I have a steady hand, and took my time, so it didn’t turn out too bad. I think the rest of them were measuring the length of the strides or something while I was drawing.

We weren’t too worried about meeting the giants, as they were going south while we were zigzagging our way north.

Thoughts on June 16th

The walls of Garuk are in sight! And Kine and Magnar have been arguing forever about whether we’ve completed the quest or not. Kine thinks that we’re done, but Magnar maintains that we need to map out the rest of the way to the city. Since it’s not that many hours away, we decided that we’ll go into the city tomorrow and ask the guildmaster. We’ve brought along a letter from Master Stonebite, explaining the quest and its terms of payment. If necessary, we’ll go back out and finish the job.

Thoughts on June 17th

This morning, we went straight for the city. Magnar was recognized at the gate while I was not. That seemed to put the world back in its proper place as far as he was concerned. He proceeded to talk business with the guards. I was impatient to get to an inn and to the comforts of civilization, but waited for him to finish gossiping, so we all could get rooms at the same inn; Kine seized the opportunity to get her wagon at the docks.

This city is larger and better fortified than the town we left two weeks ago. But its best inn isn’t that much bigger than the Golden Swan. When we inquired after rooms, the innkeeper told us that all the rooms were occupied. I asked him if he didn’t have a small room in the attic that he could make available if I’d perform in the common room. I was affronted when he asked me how I would perform, but I did a backflip and struck a pose. My fame clearly hasn’t spread to this city. Admittedly, I haven’t been anywhere near here before, but still! Hm… Did I forget to introduce myself? Have I grown so arrogant that I expect people to recognize me by my face alone? No matter, we got the room for free for as long as I perform in the common room at night. Since Lady Karita is high human, the innkeeper vacated his own apartment for her. Kine paid off the geologist, and then she and Magnar left to find rooms elsewhere, agreeing to meet us here tomorrow morning.

I don’t mind living in a cramped space, as long as Olivia can cramp it with me. I do prefer the finest inns available, though, where people are respectable, respectful and rich enough to tip well when I perform. The crowd here showed itself to be comprised mostly of adventurers, too haughty to tip at all. Not that I really need the money; the largest expenditure on the road is room and board, and we got that for free. It’s the principle of the matter!

Thoughts on June 18th

Considering Lady Karita’s morning habits, Kine and Magnar were in no rush to get back to our inn. When everyone met up in the common room, we waited for Lady Karita to finish her breakfast, before walking over to the guildhall to hand over the letter and make our report. The guild master needed to send for experts to evaluate the map, so Kine went to the city hall to get a license to trade in the marketplace in the meantime. Not being a member of the merchant guild is a little inconvenient, it seems. The experts studied our map and listened to our reports. Based on their assessment, the guild master determined the value of our map, and paid us accordingly.

Then it was time to go shopping! Olivia and I spent the remainder of the day seeing what the city had to offer. I truly feel like an adventurer: I bought a composite bow and brass knuckles, and having seen the usefulness of wearing armor, I bought cloth armor as well. I don’t want to be slowed down, so metal armor is right out, but perhaps I’ll upgrade to leather at some time in the future.

On our tour of the city, Olivia and I stopped by the shop of leatherworker Alfrey Kansh to introduce ourselves and make our report.

Being an adventurer certainly brings diversity to one’s life. We’ve had three quests so far, of completely different natures. Hopefully, the others are willing to stay in Garuk for a few days before we embark on our fourth. I would really like to set up a show here and perform. I wonder if Lady Karita can get me an invitation to perform for the governor?

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote