View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #299
Kirk

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
A fair question, because the Dark City situation doesn't really have a precedent in the hobby AFAIK. It would not have been right to talk ABOUT Dark City until I had talked TO them, but I just finished a very pleasant call with George Dew. So the executive summary is, we are talking :) In my perfect Year 2019 or 2020, there would be no "clone rules" on the market, but there would be a wide variety of "new" fan-written adventures available under the TFT banner. I should not say "fan," because if these guys sell me a dozen adventures, they are pros.
I just found out about the acquisition of TFT rights and I think this is great news! When George and I were working together, being huge fans of TFT, we both wanted to resurrect the great adventures to be had with programmed modules such as Death Test or Orb Quest, but always the problem with access to the rules stood in the way, i.e. not available to the general public, as a rule, to expose new and younger gamers to the system.

Creating a similar set of rules without infringing on rights left us with an "interesting" set of game rules, with compromises along the way, and for me, just enough to get by to allow continuation of programmed modules that had a similar look and feel.

I certainly hope SJG can just address the few slight imbalances and typos and paste-up errors in the original rules, then, without the work-arounds that DCG had to use (IMO), make them available to the public once again, especially to younger gamers.

My biggest wish would be high quality (along the lines of Death Test, Orb Quest, etc.) programmed modules that support the world of Cidri as presented in the original TFT rules. It is, I think, what DCG strived for, and I give credit to George Dew for having enough fortitude and love of the game to keep an homage to TFT alive through his Dark City Games efforts over these past years.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote