View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 12:04 AM   #25
panton41

Default Re: [LT] Monstrous Bow SM+3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Someone PM'ed me once to consider making an app instead of a spreadsheet. I'm all for it, though I wouldn't do it myself.
That was me. Don't have one line of code written. I gave up while trying to lay out the interface. Mind you, once an interface is designed the actual coding seems pretty straightforward. But short of a wall of check boxes, drop menus and text boxes I couldn't see how to do it and improve the functionality of the original spreadsheet other than performance.

My goal was to make it so you could change any element of the design at any point, and there was about 30 or so places where data could be changed or relevant data displayed, so an elegant interface isn't exactly easy when you need to present that much information at once. I can think of a few ways to change that, like multiple windows with different parts of the design system, but memories that's not entirely elegant for all users. (I have two "full HD" monitors, but a single 1365x768 display on a laptop is unfortunately the de facto standard for new systems these days, let's not get into people on older systems.)

Some of my eventual design goals was to make some derived fields lockable and have it recalculate from there. Of course that would lead to impossible or impractical designs but that's kind of the point of something like this.

Plus, frankly, I got bored.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros

Last edited by panton41; 10-25-2012 at 12:21 AM.
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote