View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 06:45 AM   #1
CeeDub

Default Takes Recharge, but allows repeated consecutive uses?

Salutations!

Suppose you want to build an ability like Superman's heat vision as shown in Man of Steel: A burning Innate Attack (Gaze) with the Jet and All-Out modifiers. From what we can see, Kryptonians can use their heat vision for several seconds at a time, but afterwards cannot use it anymore for several minutes.

As far as I understand Takes Recharge, it would give you one single-second jet of heat vision, i.e. you could not use it to melt a steel door or slowly sweep a wide angle over several seconds.

Another option is Limited Use, but again, that would give you a maximum of 10 seconds per day, but with pauses between the uses as short as the player likes.

I also thought of Costs Fatigue, but yet again, that allows for many short bursts with short pauses between them.

Then I thought of taking Limited Use and Rapid Fire, which is incompatible with Jet per RAW, but could be abused to represent a maximum number of "shots" per Use that have to be fired one at a time in consecutive turns instead of a single attack. If the series of attacks is interrupted or the player chooses to end it early by taking another maneuver, the Use is gone. However, balancing Rapid Fire against Limited Use results in a net Enhancement.

Preparation Required might work, except that the RAW state that the time needs to be spent taking Concentrate maneuvers.

How would you do it?
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote