View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #18
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Review some SJG roleplaying products!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracht View Post
Anecdotally, I would say that was more a 3e thing. On the average, 4e books are crunchier and/or more abstract: I do not think they lend themselves very well to be converted to other systems. Well, the exceptions might be the three major genre books: Fantasy, Space and Horror.
I find 4E Martial Arts very useful, for its descriptions of real-world styles. Converting them to Sagatafl's more flexible Stunt-based system is a bit of work, but very doable.

Likewise, High-Tech has lots of real-world stats for non-combat gear. It's a total pain in the butt that they're not metric, but it's still very useable. Same for Low-Tech (combat gear is extremely cumbersome to convert to other systems, of course, since they simulate in different ways, make different distinctions, etc).

The thing that often makes no sense is using such GURPS supplements with a lower detail RPG system.

But yes, the 3E era often had better supplements. Setting books like GURPS Vikings or GURPS Arabian Nights are very useful with a wide range of systems.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote